Intent and Pedagogy
Intent: We believe that every child at Old Fletton Primary School should be given the tools to develop into strong, fluent and enthusiastic readers, enabling them to fully access the whole curriculum.
Pedagogy - the method and practice of teaching, especially as an academic subject or theoretical concept: The teaching of reading is a complex skill with many facets: decoding, phonics fluency, expression, inference, vocabulary, punctuation, comprehension, prediction and summarising to name just a few!
To ensure that our children not only develop the skills as readers but maintain a love of reading we do the following:
- Provide a robust phonics programme Read Write Inc. Phonics
- Ensure all Reception and Year 1 children are heard reading every day
- Ensure access to quality authors and texts from Reception to Year 6
- 4Whole class reading sessions that have clear purpose regarding techniques and types of questions
- Allocate a whole week of Independent reading time around a theme or topic to ensure a breadth of knowledge (Week 7)
- Poetry reading in every block and a performance in Block 1
- Encourage Reading Buddies in school
- Reading Cafés to encourage parents to come into school (being developed 2020)