PE and Sport Premium
What is the ‘PE and Sport Premium’?
The PE and sport premium is a grant the Government introduced for schools in 2014 to improve the Physical Education (PE) facilities and provisions put in place in order for children to receive a range of high-quality PE opportunities.
Guidance from the Department for Education states that we must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, sport and physical activity that we provide. This means that we must use the PE and sport premium to:
- Develop or add to the PE, sport and physical activity that we already provide
- Build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now are sustainable and will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
Our PE and sport premium is used to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Broader experience of a range of sports and physical activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
At Old Fletton Primary School we recognise the importance of daily physical activity and how fundamental this is for children’s physical, mental and social wellbeing. We teach our children about the impact that exercise has on their bodies, which equips them to make more informed choices about continuing participation as they grow older. Here are just a few of the benefits you might see as a result of more active children:
- Improved mental wellbeing
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Better concentration and behaviour in class
- Helps children feel part of a team
- Enhanced social skills
- Increased resilience
- Improved sleep leads to better learning and concentration
Many children at Old Fletton Primary School thrive on the opportunities offered and they are very enthusiastic about exercise showing great determination in many areas of sport.