We believe that every child at Old Fletton should be given the tools to develop into strong, fluent and enthusiastic readers, enabling them to fully access the whole curriculum.
Reading is not a skill that is left to chance; we ensure early reading in phonics through Read Write Inc. is supported with opportunities for Book Talk where children have the chance to discuss a text in detail in one to one or small group sessions. This foundation is built upon with the use of whole class texts for enjoyment and fluency as well as discreet guided reading lessons that teach the children skills beyond decoding.
“Reading feeds the imagination, it expands horizons and offers new and exciting of ways of seeing and making sense of our lives and of the world around us." Michael Morpurgo
Teaching of Reading:
The teaching of reading is a complex skill with many facets: decoding, phonics fluency, expression, inference, vocabulary, punctuation, comprehension, prediction and summarising to name just a few!
To ensure that our children not only develop the skills as readers but maintain a love of reading we do the following:
- Provide a robust phonics programme Read Write Inc. Phonics
- In Nursery, Reception and Year 1 children take part in Book Talk
- Ensure access to quality authors and texts from Reception to Year 6
- Whole class reading sessions that have clear purpose regarding techniques and types of questions
- Poetry reading and performance
- Encourage reading buddies in school
- Online reading quizzes for comprehension
- Celebration of World Book Day
- Part of the National Literacy Trust Young Readers Programme
- We use the Guardian’s 100 books to read before you leave primary school
- Provide an environment to promote a love of reading